These ones are very moist and appley, streaked through the middle with a band of cinnamon sugar and crunchy with the same on top. Very tasty.
The recipe is adapted from a very cute little book called simply cupcakes! by Elinor Klivans.
Without further ado:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar and 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In another bowl mix 1 cup grated cooking apple with 2 tablespoons of the cinnamon sugar mixture
- In a larger bowl stir 1 1/4 cups plain flour, 3/4 cup soft brown sugar, 3/4 tsp baking soda and a pinch of salt together, and make a well in the centre
- Add 2 eggs, 1 cup sunflower oil and 1 tsp vanilla extract and mix well
- Stir in the apple mixture with any juice that has been released
- Put 12 cupcake papers into a muffin tray and half fill each with mixture
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of cinnamon sugar over each one and top up with more mixture
- Use a pastry brush to dab the top of the batter with the melted butter and sprinkle a tsp of cinnamon sugar on top of each
- Bake until the tops are light brown and a knife inserted comes out clean; about 25 minutes