Homemade bread, Moro Carrot Salad, Rhubarb and strawberry compote...
The carrot salad is straight out of the first Moro book and has been put to service a good few times now because it's really very good. You just:
- boil 4 or 5 (preferably oldish) carrots, whole with their skins and tops and tails on until soft
- when cooked, let them cool, and then scrape the skins off with fingers or knife and slice
- toast a couple of teaspoons of cumin seeds in a dry pan over a low heat until fragrant and starting to colour
- bash up the cumin seeds a little, and add to the juice of one lemon and about an equal amount of olive oil (and some chopped garlic if you so desire)
- Mix the carrots with a big bunch of chopped coriander and the dressing
Lovely as part of a mixed mezze
As for rhubarb and strawberries, well you don't need me to tell you how good those two are together - I just boil them with a little brown sugar and freshly squeezed orange juice. But if you fancy something in a whole different league of rhubarb and strawberry chic check out this incredibly beautiful creation from La Tartine Gourmand's talented Bea...